Thursday, August 06, 2009

T-minus 3 weeks...

Okay, so I know I've been on maternity leave for almost a month now and you'd think I would have posted SOMETHING, but believe it or not I've been busy. Busy with napping and reading and going for outings with Mom and Dad and Rowena and Geoff. Okay, so it's not corporate busy or anything, but it still fills a day...

Anywho....

Bean will be officially "full term" tomorrow, which means it could be born anytime. Yesterday at our appointment the midwife said I wasn't having a baby in the next week. That's good. Mom and Dad would be so upset if they were still in Switzerland when Bean is born.

Things are still going okay. I'm getting more sore in, ahem, lower areas and I find I have to concentrate really hard on how I move so I don't end up hurting myself more. Rolling over in bed is a huge task. I end up using my face as a pivot point at one stage. Definitely not enjoyable, especially since I have to do it about a dozen times a night. Oh joy. Bean's happy in my belly and quite content to wiggle around, stretch and do other such baby things. It's amazing to think that there's a whole person in there. And it required little effort from me to grow! It's not like I had to consciously think "Okay, today I need to grow kidneys". It just does it. Weird.

I'm ready to be not pregnant though. Watching Nathan sleep on his belly and roll over with ease fill me with insane longing and jealousy. I want to be able to walk Ghost at a good speed, not waddle her around the block and arrive home completely exhausted. I want to be able to lift my leg in the shower to wash my feet. I want to be able to clip my toenails. It's really amazing how much you appreciate all those little things that you don't even think of ordinarily. I mean really, who thinks about the privilege of clipping their toenails? I also get tired so fast these days. I can barely handle a morning of actual activity. Heaven forbid I do a whole day of something. I'm usually a weepy, exhausted basket case by the end and then it takes me at least a day to recover. I'm trying to limit my outings though so I don't over do it. It's getting to the point where I have to consciously try and remember to stay rested, since labour could start anytime. And everyone says the last thing you want to do is start labour already exhausted. So I will endeavour to nap lots, get a tiny bit of exercise and just try and stay relaxed and rested.

The weather is getting to me though. I'm sick of dreary, cloudy, rainy days. Ghost too. She especially doesn't like the thunder. If she hears one little roll, she starts trembling from head to toe and hides in whatever small corner she can find. Poor pup. I don't think she especially enjoys walking in the rain either. She always looks a little irritated by it. I've been trying to find things to do with her inside to keep her entertained. We play fetch and I went online and found some easy dog tricks to teach her. We're working on "sit pretty", "which one?" and "roll over". Roll over seems to be the most difficult right now. We also used Nathan as a hurdle one night and practiced her jumping. She did very well with that, until Daddy's bridge collapsed in exhaustion. =D

Anyway, I must research nursing bras, breast pumps, and a decorating idea for the stairwell. Ahh.... the joys of not having to go to work. Work? What's work? What did I do? Don't remember, don't really care....

1 comment:

Queen of Swords said...

Priest uses his head as a pivot point too, but usually just to shift around, not roll over. Unfortunately, by the time you'd be able to see him again and get some tips, you won't need it!