Thursday, August 30, 2007

I've Come All Undone and Been Glued Back Together Again

A tale of emotional strife? No! This is the story of a young woman's battle with a horrific, knife-wielding onion and the sacrifice her left thumb made that she would live to fight again.

Otherwise known as Sheila is a klutz and cut a third of the way through the tip of her thumb.

I was cutting up onion for broccoli salad last night and didn't move my thumb out of the way fast enough and the wonderfully sharp knife cut horizontally across the tip of my thumb. Much swearing and running my finger under water ensued. I could feel it moving under the water stream and it was bleeding a lot and I was starting to wonder if I'd done myself serious harm this time, when Nathan came home. He decided that it was best to go to a clinic to see if I needed stitches or not.

So off we went, the beginning of broccoli salad shoved in the fridge, me pressing a kitchen towel to my thumb. By the time we got to the clinic, the bleeding had pretty much stopped, so that was good. We checked in, went to Safeway for some panini sandwiches and then back to the clinic for my turn.

I didn't end up needed stitches. It had already started to close with all the pressure I had been keeping on it, so the doctor just put that medical crazy glue on it to glue it shut. Then, just to add insult to injury, I had to get a tetanus shot. In the left arm of course. So today, my thumb hurts and I can't put pressure on it and my arm is all achy from the shot.

It sucks and I'm cranky and don't want to be at work doing computer stuff. I can be such a klutz sometimes. Oh well. I'll survive. The tricky part will be getting my nail to grow out fast, so it doesn't snag on everything....

PS Attempting to finish the broccoli salad tonight. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Queen of Swords said...

Oh no! Ouch, ouch, ouch. And I thought my sprained toe was bad! You have me beat. *hugs* and see you in a couple days. We can compare injuries. :)

Gillian said...

OWYYYYYYYY!!!! POOR SHEILA!!!! I hope you feel better soon!

Sheila said...

Feeling a bit better. My left arm is still sore from the tetanus shot, but I can actually lift it away from my body today so I'm improving! Thumb looks okay too. The crazy glue is still on there, hard as a rock. It's actually pretty neat stuff. I can shower, wash my hands, etc. and it stays on there, not like a bandaid.

The broccoli salad was yummy! I waited for Nathan to get home and got him to do the cutting. =D