Friday, July 27, 2007

Folk Fest - Day One

Nathan and I were lucky enough to get 4 day passes to the Folk Fest this year from his Uncle Les (he works for the festival). I've only ever been to one evening before this and I really enjoyed that. So needless to say I was looking forward to having 4 glorious days of folky-ness. This is first summery thing that Nathan and I have done this year. All the rest of our time has been filled with yard work and other such craziness. So even though we have 6 untouched pallets of wall stones sitting in our parking pad, I am revelling in the bliss that is doing nothing important for 4 days. Sigh....

The first thing that I will say about last night was the atmosphere. I don't know what it is, but as soon as Nathan and I had bought our little Folk Fest chairs (worth every penny, BTW) and set them up in the field in front of the mainstage, I felt infinitely more relaxed. There's certainly something about sitting in a field, in the late afternoon sunshine, with a bunch of easy-going people, listening to great tunes. It was wonderful. Soooooo relaxing.

The acts were good. I didn't really hear anything that I didn't like. First up was Lubo Alexandrov and Kaba Horo. They're kind of a Bulgarian, gypsy type band that lives in Quebec. Very cool and fun. I like gypsy music. =D Next up was The Sadies. Despite their awful 70s suits and hair, they were fantastic. Some of their stuff sounded familiar, so I wonder if I've heard it before and just not known who it was. I think I might have to get one of their cds. Next was City and Colour. I have never heard of these people, but apparently they're quite popular. The lead singer has another band, but the music styles are quite different according to Nathan. They were great. Such pure vocals and melodies. There was also just the 3 of them which was neat to see too. Nathan bought me one of their cds. And last, but not least, Rufus Wainwright. I laughed when he pranced on stage in his cute little leiderhosen! So incredibly gay, and he just doesn't give a shit. I love his voice and he's an amazing musician. I have to say though that I'm kind of split on his stuff. Some I really like and others I really don't. His band's pretty cool though too. But he was a good entertainer and he played Hallelujah for his encore.

All in all it was a great night. So relaxing and groovy and just the most perfect way to spend a sunny Thursday evening. And I get 3 more days of it!

2 comments:

Queen of Swords said...

Look for Jen! She and her mom are at Folk Fest! :D Sounds like you're having a wonderful time!

Anonymous said...

Oooooh I am so, so jealous!!!
Enjoy Great Big Sea for me :)