Friday, May 25, 2007

France

Well, here's my promised post about France. Only a week or so late...

The trip was sensational. This is what I say whenever anyone asks me. It was sensational. Not good, not great, SENSATIONAL! I mean we had our rainy days and day where my stomach rebelled, and near the end I was getting a bit tired of living out of a suitcase and doing my laundry in a bathroom, but for the most part (the part that counts, anyway) it was a perfect trip.

I have to admit I was especially enthralled by all the architecture in France. It's quite overwhelming. Everywhere you look there are fantastic old buildings, all with their own unique personalities and quirks. Churches galore, mostly similar if you don't look hard, but they are vastly different if you take the time to walk, stand and admire. I did a lot of this. We'd be walking somewhere and I would just stop and stare for a while. I was on sensory overload for the first few days!

My particular favourites from the trip were Mont Saint Michel, Normandy, Nogent-sur-Seine and Parc Asterix.

Mont Saint Michel was the most organic structure I have ever seen. It was incredibly moving and peaceful. I could have quite happily spent days there and I probably still wouldn't have seen it all. I'm glad they're working on a project to eliminate the causeway and parking lots that are blocking the bay from encircling the mont at high tide. They will have parking on the mainland, and a bridge for tour buses and foot traffic across the bay.

I really enjoyed Normandy as well (Mont Saint Michel is on the border between Normandy and Brittany). I especially liked our tour of Juno beach. We went with a tour company called Battlebus that does tours in minibuses (like a minivan but boxier). They specialize in English-speaking tours and our guide was a Brit. He had a marvelous little flip book with pictures of the towns and of different soldiers that he would show us when he was telling a particular story. The tour was really well done, I highly recommend it. I always find history much more engaging when there's a personal aspect to it and this tour certainly had that.

Nogent was a pretty, sleepy little town with a contrasting nuclear power plant. I think that for a vacation it's much better to be more often out of Paris than not. Paris is such a huge city that moves very fast (except from 12-2pm), that I could definitely feel myself gearing down when we were outside of it. Don't get me wrong, Paris was great and full of things to see and do, but I really enjoyed our time in little towns.


And then... oh and then! Parc Asterix! I could wax poetic about this goofy amusement park for hours! It was like living in a cartoon. Goofy soundtrack, goofy actors, goofy buildings and puns and jokes everywhere! It was completely awesome. If you plan on going to France, read one Asterix book before you leave and then go to this park. It's really great. I was grinning like an idiot and giggling for pretty much a whole day. The perfect thing to do on our last day in France.

So those are some highlights for all of you. Whenever you happen to see Nathan and I, we'll be sure to show you the full range of photos and tell you all the stories.

And Nathan's right about the La Vie En Rose music box. It may be cheesy and totally aimed at the tourists, but whenever I hear it played I can transport myself back to Paris, walking by the Seine, hand in hand with my love.

No comments: