Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Happiness... It's all in your point of view

I was reflecting today on the bus why I can go from happy, content and satisfied to unhappy, stressed out and discontented within the space of a few days. (insert joke about female mood swings here).

For myself, I think it happens to be what I'm focusing on. Last week it was work, this week it's the murder mystery party we're hosting on Saturday. I don't think I really have less work now than I did then, but I have something else to think about that I consider more important. Yes, I consider a murder mystery party with my friends more important than work.

Also, I can work myself into a dreadful funk and basically convince myself that my life sucks. But then if I step back and look, it really doesn't. I have a nice job, a wonderful husband, a cozy house, caring friends, an upcoming trip to France, etc. My life doesn't suck. So why then are there some days when I think it does?

PERSPECTIVE!!!!!!

I think someone could spend their entire life focusing on negative things and completely miss out on everything wonderful and good. That makes me sad, and at the same time motivates me to keep all those good things in the front of my brain.

So my challenge for everyone out there: Post a comment and list a couple of things that make your life wonderful and that make you happy. Keep these in your head for the rest of the week and I think I can almost guarantee a reduction in stress!

Thanks to everyone for being wonderful things in my life.

3 comments:

Queen of Swords said...

My life is wonderful because:

-I know how to knit.
-I love my job.
-I have someone in my life who will crouch down in front of me when I'm sitting on the stairs crying, even though he has bad knees and has more enjoyable things to do than sit there offering comfort to someone who can't be comforted well.
-I have some very very good friends, and even though they don't live right next door anymore (or never have), they're still so important to me, and I'm glad I have them.

Apartment Girl said...

My life is wonderful because:

- I have an amazing, supportive, loving family (and extended family!)
- I own my very own, cute little condo.
- I have a TON of books.
- I get to go see my best friend and her brand new baby this summer!
- I have a decent job with excellent benefits so that I can get the medicine I need for FREE!

Anonymous said...

My life is wonderful because:

-I have a loving husband, who knows how to fix things
-I have two amazing daughters, with whom I love to spend time
-I have two sons-in-law, who love my daughters
-I have great friends, with whom I can laugh and cry
-I live so close to the majestic Rocky Mountains
-I get to do some fun things with my photography
-I have dreams (like the barge trip down the Canal du Midi!)