Thursday, November 23, 2006

Out in Deep Water....

Well, the Vegas conference (for those who don't know, Autodesk University) is fast approaching and I'm starting to feel a little out of my league. I'm going to an elite conference with 7000+ people from around the world. I am going to mingle. I am going to be asked for my opinion on multi-million dollar software. I am going to be grilled by people just starting out on Autodesk Building Systems (fancy 3D CAD for engineers). I am I sure this is right?

I can't help but feel a little like there's been some mistake or something. These people that are emailing me, setting up times to meet and chat AutoCAD, don't really want to pick MY brain. After all, if you count SAIT, I've only been doing AutoCAD for 3 1/2 years. Do I know as much as I think I do? Will I be succinct and not embarrass myself? Can I manage to speak to people that I perceive as my elders without turning beet red? Will I learn enough that my bosses won't regret sending me? Did I pack enough business cards for all the door prizes?

Suddenly, I feel very adult. I have a house, a husband, and I'm going on a business trip (all expenses paid of course) to attend a conference. Somehow this doesn't quite seem real. But, I must be doing something right, since my yearly performance review was glowing and the bosses had no complaints. They couldn't even suggest that I tidy up my desk! So, with a second wonderful review and another healthy Christmas bonus under my belt, I will attempt to act the part next week. Wish me luck.

No comments: