Monday, May 29, 2006

No Sleep on a Friday Night

Well, I made it through the Canadian Cancer Society's Relay for Life on Friday night. This is the first time I've done anything this socially active, and I have to say it was an interesting experience.

First of all, the weather sucked. It rained all night and it got really close to zero degrees. It was certainly interesting to walk a relay outside in the rain. The track got really torn up and muddy and all of my joints started to protest very loudly. My muscles weren't really sore, it was everything else!

It was a fun time though. I got to know my team members a lot better and for the first time in I don't know how long, I wasn't sleepy late at night. Usually I don't make it past 10:30pm, but I didn't feel sleepy at all on Friday. So I had been up from 5am, went through the night and finally went to bed at 8:30am Saturday morning. Of course, I wasn't very coherent on Saturday afternoon..... =D

It certainly gives you a feeling of well being and belonging to do something like the Relay for Life. Kind of reminds you that there are bigger problems in the world than your own. It also felt nice knowing that I had contributed something. And of course, there's the willingness to let loose and party with people you don't know for a whole night in the rain! I don't think I've danced or sang so much in a very long time!

In other news, Nathan and I had engagement photos taken today. Our photographer, Rene, is very fun. He's really goofy and I like that a lot better than someone really serious. I hope the pictures turn out good. Rene said we were very good fake smilers.

No comments: